I embarked upon a historical study of Roman crowns and discovered an amazing thing.

Read about my inspiration and ideas behind the art, as well as a few details about how I made it. I depict Christ in a royal robe and upon his head a crown fashioned from thorns. He wears payot - side locks or curls of hair. The tradition of Jewish men not cutting the hair on the sides of the head goes back to a time long before Christ. Usually we see the crown of thorns looking like dead and dried thorns. This may be accurate – it may not. Considering that Roman soldiers made the crown, I suspect that the crown looked a little different than its usual depiction. That is why I have leaves in the crown of thorns. I shall explain. I think the soldiers would have left some leaves on the freshly cut native branches/vines that they used to make the crown of thorns on that springtime day. Their reference would have been Roman crowns. Consider some of those crowns. The civic crown was made of oak leaves. There was another crown made from olive leaves. And we have all seen the portrayal of the distinguished ancient Roman wearing a green laurel wreath. But I wish to talk mostly about the grass crown.